Communication is the process by which information is transmitted between individuals and / or organizations so that an understanding response results’. According to research findings, 63 to 73 percent of Managerial time is spent on communication. Speaking is the richest kind of communication channel.
The best practice for conversation is conversation itself! Words carry our ideas/ feelings to others. Effective speaking concerns being able to speak in a public context with confidence and clarity, at the same time reflecting on your own personality. Effective Speaking is not just standing up and talking. It also involves listening, observing, managing timing, establishing voice control (modulation, volume), appearing to be relaxed, and enjoying yourself. Each of these skills requires practice and experience.
Why You Should Speak Effectively
- No one will guess what you want or what you think if you don’t tell them, and nothing is going to change if you do not put forward a change. Establishing and developing effective communication is important in order to be heard and change the circumstances and your environment according to your own thoughts.
- To communicate effectively, one should not be afraid of speaking. Anytime you need to say something, go ahead and do it. We have noticed that Most of the times people are afraid of speaking because they are not sure if it is the right thing to say and/or the right time to say it. Be sure, say what you want to say, and do not regret it. If you speak, you will be heard and taken into account. There are some things, which should be kept into the consideration while speaking: Do not say something that will hurt somebody’s feelings. Unless that something has to be said inevitably, say it, but as softly and gently as you can. Never hurt anyone intentionally. Always think twice before saying something. You choose what to say, just be sure to say the right thing at the right time. If you do that, you will not regret a thing.
- When it comes to speaking, lot of times, we hesitate. Don’t worry, it is natural! The worst thing that you can do while speaking is to hesitate. You just have to be enough strong and confident to express ourselves. Your words should be enough strong to determine their effect on the listener. The way that you speak and the content of your speech tell a lot about yourself and your personality. A conversation allows speakers and listeners to get to know each other better. By means of intelligence, strength, and confidence, you will be able to change the world around you though your words.
- Express yourself clearly! The basic language problem involves misunderstanding, as the listener gets his or her own version of what is said. Therefore, you should know how to express exactly what you are thinking of. Words are not less than double edged weapons which can be used either to defend or to attack. If you make a good use of them, you will be able to do almost everything.
- If we say that communication is dependent on speaking, it will be oppression. Listening skill is probably the most important of all. You should know how to listen patiently and not to interrupt when it is no longer your turn to speak. You will surely learn new things from listening to others. If a person is speaking, it is because she or he wants to be heard. Good listeners are always appreciated!
Words inspire no fear, speak them. Words make you strong, Support them. Words show what you are and what you think. Do not let yourself be misunderstood. Words are valuable. Listen to them!
Effective public speaking skills give you the platform to success through expressing your knowledge or concerns on a topic. Verbally stating your own message provides you with control over the way your audience receives it. Written letters, emails and text messages are often misinterpreted, causing potential conflict or hurt feelings. Through skilled public speaking, whether to a group or individuals, you direct the tone of your message.
Steps to improve Conversation:
1. The conversation should be of interest to the participant.
2. Be alert to the attitude that others may have.
3. Call the person by name and look at him while speaking.
4. Be courteous and cheerful.
5. Don’t be dogmatic (Trying to force your opinion on other person) and argumentative.
6. Control your emotions while conversing.
7. Concentrate on the issue, not the person.
When you sound knowledgeable, you get the desired result with polished approach. You should know how to express yourself clearly and with confidence, you will be able to empower well in negotiating situations and will be taken more seriously.
If you talk to anybody face-to face, feelings of concern, understanding, frustration, disappointment and empathy with others can be more strongly communicated. In face-to-face communication, the speaker sees how the audience is responding. If the audience is not responding in the desired way, the speaker changes his approach to express the emotion. Written communication cannot be evaluated and revised this quickly for the desired response.
Business leaders use public speaking skills to motivate others to work toward goals. Communicating mission statements, objectives and goals through the spoken word is very powerful. The human voice provides a sense of passion, self-confidence, willpower and belief in the ability to achieve the goal that the written word cannot match.
‘It is not enough to know what to say – one must also know how to say it’
Aristotle, 2000 BC
Many times, we notice that often people do not like the sound of their own recorded voice. Most of us are not used to hearing our own voices. Ask yourself, ‘Do I really sound like that?’ develop a better understanding of your voice.
Listen carefully, relax and then have an idea of how you sound to other people. Although you cannot hear your voice in the same way that others hear you, you can develop an awareness of its impact on others.
If anyone wishes to become an effective speaker, following three core elements of vocal production need to be understood:
- Talking Style
Voice communicates in ways that has nothing to do with the words a speaker utters. Some people have naturally soft voices and others have harsh or the normal. We realize if the voice is increased too high, the tonal quality of the voice is lost. It is good to talk softly, but when it is one-to-one, conversation or you are addressing a small crowd. But if you address a large crowd, your voice should reach to every person in the audience, even the last one sitting there in the back. But you should know to have strong voice instead of loud voice, thereby making you someone positive!
It is obvious that good voice is the central of good talking. While speaking, unclench the jaw, and open the mouth to read freely. The sound made for different words should be paid much attention along with the ends of the words. This will help audience as a certain amount of lip- reading will be possible.
Voice & Variety:
There are few techniques that make voice effective and interesting. Wrong or misunderstood are normally interpreted. You cannot pronunciate the words wrongly while giving the lecture, speech or conducting any seminar, conference or workshop.
Good voice is the central to good talking. When we mention about the good voice quality, it may be referred to vocal expressions with varying pitch, pace and volume, and pause.
When pitch, volume and pace will be blended together, it forms the talking style. Style gives the uniqueness to the person. When any person speaks with sincerity, kindness, understanding, we say that the talker has the style. Our ideas should be interesting instead of beautiful.
Word Choice and Vocabulary:
Good communicator is able to speak better if he/she has the knowledge of the words. ‘Which word to use where’, should be understood to communicate effectively? Therefore, if you have a larger vocabulary, you will be able to create the correct picture in the listener’s mind and can make him to understand more effectively.