TIME RUNNING OUT
One of the important strategies for using your time wisely is to drastically reduce the time u waste.
When we will take care of minutes, hours will be taken care automatically.
The question arises why this Time Management is important?
We have some thieves, which steal our time.
Therefore, here we have some time wasters that we can control in order to increase the amount of time available to us each day.
- Laziness: Most of us feel lazy. Many people have a difficult time getting themselves moving in a positive direction every day. For some, it is a motivation problem, for some, it is a discipline problem, others simply have a temperament that causes them to lie back rather then moving forward. Very common issue in the student’s life. They want to complete their assignments, their drawing sheets, but they feel lazy, the reason behind this is that they do not complete the given assignments in their stipulated time, and when they realize it, they feel lazy to complete the pending tasks.
- Laziness Exists Where Self-Discipline Is Lacking. Normally we try to teach our students about the basic morals of life, but we fail to put it in action in our personal life.
- Inability to Say ‘No’: We all want to be as helpful as we can when others need us, but this can mean taking time away from other priorities to do something we may not have planned. Say big ‘NO’, if u doesn’t know how to do any particular task, or u are already tied up with your priorities. We all want to be as helpful as we can when others need us, but this can mean taking time away from other priorities to do something we may not have planned. But here, conditions apply; we can put forth all our priorities aside for social cause, for serving the humanity.
- Interruptions & More Interruptions: Interruptions – are the greatest time wasters. Many times, we are in the middle of accomplishing something really important or reading the books or certain topics which you need to teach in the class and the telephone rings or somebody visits u. These calls cannot only take you away from your task, but sometimes they interrupt your train of thoughts and you can’t return to the point where you were.
- Looking For The Things That Are Lost: We face such situations very often in our everyday life. It has been seen through a research that we waste nearly six weeks a year looking for the misplaced things. That means we are losing 10 percent of our time each year in looking for the misplaced things. We normally see our children or our students are looking for the diary, or any specific notebook while going for the lectures.
Unorganized & Pressure: Most of the time we are unaware of what to do and when to do. We feel ourselves very much unorganized. We keep our notes dumped in our cupboard, we write important notes anywhere on any sheet of paper n dump it anywhere n when we are in the requirement of those particular notes; we get confused n waste out time in searching out those small chits or papers. The result is that we feel stressed and pressurized. An unorganized man is always in stress and confused condition, which leads to pressure in his work. A pressurized man is always confused and de-motivated, that affects his productivity in work. He feels always stressed by everyone and everything. A person tends to feel more n more fatigue.
Most people order their work according to the pressure they feel rather than the priorities they have.
Carry Load Yourself: The single greatest resource that each of us has to increase our productivity is other people. Despite this fact, many people try to carry the entire workload by themselves. Very helpless situation. The solution is delegating.
Personal Negative Attitude: Defensiveness, jealousy, strife, anger and other negative emotions make it difficult to do our best. If u find yourself having a negative attitude, read positive books and listen to motivational tapes. Do whatever u can to cultivate a positive attitude?
- Regretting & Daydreaming: I once saw a picture done by an artist portrayed a bust street with fast moving vehicles and eagerly faced men. Amid the busy street movement was a stopped man with a despairing attitude. He was traveling in an opposite direction. Under the picture of the lonely man were the words, “Looking for yesterday”. Many people are like that stopped man. They expend their energy thinking about and regretting the mistakes they had made or opportunities they have missed in the past; or they daydream about the future, both these preoccupations are time wasters. Do not look back and do not dream about the future, it will neither give you back the past nor satisfy your daydreams. Learn from your mistakes, but quickly move. Instead of day dreaming work towards the fulfillment of your dreams and goals.
- If we allow these thieves to enter in our life. They will lead us to stress and if we will not be able to cope up with it properly, that stress will lead us to depression- very common now-a-days!
We read in newspapers every day, or listen on TV, these many students’ attempt to suicide or straight way suicide only & this is just because of their psychological behavior of stress and depression and teens are predisposed to suicidal behavior if they lack the ability to cope with disappointment or stress.
A research has shown that 7379 students’ suicide in India in year 2010-11, the main cause of this was stress and depression.
First of all, why does this occur, it is because, people, mostly students feel themselves tied up with the work load and they feel it beyond their capacity to come up with the flying colors. They choose to end up their life.
So what remedial actions shall we take to be away from stress and depression?
First and the foremost thing we all need to understand, though we all know it, but even then ‘Life is very simple, don’t complicate it’.
And the first step to make it simple is to ‘Think, Plan and organize your time’. Five minutes of planning can save our 1 hour. So if we plan our whole day, you see we will be able to save 3-4 hours every day, if it comes to plan a week, a month, it will be the most fantastic step to succeed in life.
Once the President of a ABC steel company granted an interview to an efficiency expert man. In their interview, President told the man that he knows how to manage the company, but what he needed was not more knowing- but more doing. He said, “ we know what we should be doing, but if you will show us the better way of getting it done, I will pay you anything without reason”.
The efficiency expert man said that he could give him something in 20 min so that he could increase his efficiency by 50%. He then handed the President a piece of paper and a pen and said,” Write down on this paper the six most important things you have to do tomorrow” The he added,” Now number them in the order of their importance to you and the company” That took about 5 minutes. Man added,” Now put this paper in your pocket and first thing tomorrow morning, take it out and look at item no. 1.Donot look at others. Just no. 1 and stay with it until it is completed n then take the no 2 in the same way n then no. 3 and so on until u have to quit for the day. Do not worry if u have just finished 1or 2. Do this every day in the morning. The man said,’ try it as long as u can n if u find this idea worth, send me the cheque of any amount for whatever the idea is worth. After 5 years, the president of that steel company sent the man $50,000, with a letter saying that you have made my company the biggest independent steel producer in the world, The Bethlehem Steel Company.
So why I explained u such a long story is that we need to spend just 5 minutes from our busy schedule for ‘PLANNING & ORGANIZING’, just a To-Do-List, everyday .
To plan anything, just apply one simple step, take a diary n a pen, and list the things you need to do during the whole day. It should start up with the priorities in your life; though we may not be able to complete the whole work list in a single day, but at the end of the day, we will be relax to know that we have finished the most prioritized work. We should not try to work according to pressure on any particular work, but according to priority.
Just priorities, the other people working with us are our greatest resources, so we should divide our work list into 4 steps- Do, Delegate, Delay or Delete.
Do the things, which are important & urgent.
Delegate the things, which your sub-ordinates can do.
Delay the things, which may be important but not urgent, but remember to put the deadline to finish those tasks.
Delete the things, which have been already done, or are neither important, nor urgent.
Obstacles in completing any task will always exist, but we have to recognize them and try to find the strategies to overcome those obstacles, instead of being stressed.
Concentrate On The Task In Hand
One important strategy to keep in mind is to concentrate completely on the current task. Concentration can be difficult when you have a lot on your mind. Your time will be better spent if you are able to:
Focus on your goal – You may have many commitments and many concerns, but you will accomplish more when you keep focused on the one task you are performing at the moment.
Tune out interruptions – You will find your concentration is at its highest level when you can set aside times during the day when you will not answer the phone, or avoid discussions. You can’t isolate yourself all of the time, but by avoiding interruptions for specific periods of time, you may find you can accomplish tasks successfully in far less time than you anticipated. When you must respond to phone calls, be assertive in minimizing interruptions by asking if you can call back at another time or meet another day.
- We should learn to build barriers against interruptions. We see when we are sometimes tired of our daily schedule or feeling very bore type, we start making the phone calls. Stop making unnecessary phone calls or visiting other people’s place as they might be doing some important work and ur phone call or ur visiting may interrupt them.
- Socializing: Avoid socializing between tasks. Very common thing, we are doing some important tasks, our colleague or friend asks us for a cup of coffee or tea. We leave our work aside n start socializing, ‘NO” we should learn to say ‘No’ and avoid such situations. Once u r free, you can have anything u want with ur friends.
Color Coded Folders
We normally dump our papers, notes in a drawer thinking that we are very busy and don’t have time for such small tasks, n then we get into trouble when we need that paper n we don’t find it. Schedule some time for filing your papers and keep paper work in color-coded folders so that you can find it quickly.
Be flexible in scheduling your day, Rigidity may put you into stress. Avoid being perfectionist; otherwise, you will be yourself delaying the most prioritized tasks.
Habitual of putting off things until a future time, especially to postpone. One having the absence of hurry or haste.
A procrastinator simply wastes his precious time. In the time that takes most procrastinators to think about a task that must be done, worry about it, find an excuse to put it off, and then work through the guilt of having not done it, they could have already performed the task and moved on to the next activity.
We can see the habit of procrastination among our students. They normally are unable to submit their assignment or reports within the stipulated time because of the habit of procrastination. They need strong motivational force to start up
Determine Whether A Given Task Must Be Done:
Sometimes we procrastinate when we sense that a task is unimportant. If it is truly unimportant, rather than putting it off, n then feeling guilty about it, eliminate it entirely. Getting rid of non-essential tasks is one of the keys to effective time-management. Eliminate the clutter from your schedule.
Delegate Tasks To Others
There are tasks that must be done, but that u may not enjoy doing. Sometimes your reluctance may be related to your personality type or talents. U should delegate the tasks to someone better suited to it, or who will enjoy doing it, then u both will win.
Develop a Discipline
For many people, procrastination has become a habit. For them all the good reasons in the world may not be enough to break them out of the negative pattern. If this is the case, retain yourself n replace the bad habit of procrastination in the good habits. Give yourself a deadline and stick to it You will note the changes in your work pattern.
A Beautiful Story I came across on Time Management and Setting Priorities.
A professor stood before his class and had some items in front of him. When class began, wordlessly he picked up a large empty jar and proceeded to fill it with rocks right to the top, rocks about 2″ diameter.
He then asked the students if the jar was full? They agreed that it was.
So the professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them in to the jar. He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles, of course, rolled into the open areas between the rocks. The students laughed.
He asked his students again if the jar was full? They agreed that yes, it was.
The professor then picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar. Of course, the sand filled up everything else.
“Now,” said the professor, “I want you to recognize that this is your life.
The rocks are the important things – your family, your partner, your health, your children -anything that is so important to you that if it were lost, you would be nearly destroyed.
The pebbles are the other things in life that matter, but on a smaller scale. The pebbles represent things like your job, house, or car.
The sand is everything else, the “small stuff.”
“If you put the sand or the pebbles into the jar first, there is no room for the rocks.
The same goes for your life. If you spend all your energy and time on the small stuff, material things, you will never have room for the things that are truly most important.
Pay attention to the things that are Important in your life and spend time on the Important.
Some of the Important are:
Spend time with your Family.
Spend time with your People.
Spend time for your Customers.
Play with your children.
Take time to get medical checkups.
Take your partner out once a while.
Take time to renew yourself.
Find time for maintenance.
Spend time on Preventing than on Solving Problems
“Take care of the rocks first – the things that really matter.”
Set your priorities, the rest is just pebbles and sand.
Believe in yourself, know what you want, and make it happen!
The management of time should be the no. 1 priority for all of us. It is very tempting to decide that a few minutes make an hour there it will not make much of difference, But they do make a difference.
Alexander Graham Bell, was working on the invention of telephone. Another man named Gray was also trying to perfect the device. Both had their breakthrough at the same time. But Bell beat Gray by 2 hours. Neither man knew about the other man, Gray. But of course, Bell became famous because of the difference of only 120 minutes. Nobody remembers the second, for becoming successful , u have to be the first n that is possibly only with Time Management.